Re: Clean install or update

Hi,

On 2021-07-27 5:22 p.m., Gunnar Gervin wrote:
> Polyna,
> I prefer clean install because my old computer often crashes after updating.
If you want to do a clean install every two days because new software
will require you to update your Debian box, then it's your choice. But I
use my system for useful stuff and can't be passing all my time looking
at install screen.

Maybe you confused two thing...

Does a distribution or release update, that is passing from stretch to
buster or buster to bullseye.
There it could be useful to do a clean install but it's a matter of choice.

And doing system update that happens every day.
There it would be pretty much time consuming and somewhat "stupid" to do
a clean install everyday or two.

> According to my expert friend, Linus Torvalds "user space respect" mean> he asks developers Not to invade / destroy user space; crashing some
> computers
If you are friend with Linus Torvalds, then great, we'll all know who to
pass by when we have problem to get answers.

I think what you mean here is making technical choices for the masses
with the idea that most people will prefer one choice and choose this one.

Yes this happens all the time.

But software system that is built properly also test if those choices
are acceptable for the user before using them.

One example would be Debian installer asking if you'd like
one partition
one partition for root and one for home
or do the partitioning yourself.

Would like to get more information on what you mean here, because all of
this is far from clear.

> cos they`re thinking "it`ll work for most users, so we`re going for it".
> 2 ways to crash my computer:
>
> 1. Force it to use 64 bits not 32 bits.
I have no clue what you are talking about...
Because we've been using 64 bits for the last 10 years or so.
Even more, got a Precision 490 from DELL, date from 2007 and run x64.
And software test if it's possible switching to 64 bit before doing so.
Also, you can't run a 64 bit distro on a 32 bit computer, you'll simply
get a error message. No crash.
Also, if you try to run a 64 bit software inside a 32 bit distro then
you'll get a error message, and if you are good enough to make dpkg
install a 64 bit software on a 32 bit distro then I don't know why you
wouldn't know that it will fail...

> 2. Force it to use UEFI and not the BIOS & bios-grub
Again clueless of why you say that.
Other than some rack server, many people if not most of them, will run
UEFI and some system even only use UEFI (Mac for example, Sun machine too).

> I suppose there are many other ways, like new, wrong drivers.
> I wish you a marvellous day of social interactions in love & respect.
> BR,
> geg

Some simple word, add precision and prevent misunderstanding...
Just saying the word update without context doesn't allow the reader to
understand.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside