Re: explanation of first column "v" is hiding

Hello Greg,

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 7:22 PM Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 01:01:59PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> # man dpkg-query
>               Desired action:
>                 u = Unknown
>                 i = Install

> v   lightdm-greeter                  -

I'm guessing it means "virtual".  Let's see:

unicorn:~$ apt-cache show lightdm-greeter
N: Can't select versions from package 'lightdm-greeter' as it is purely virtual
N: No packages found

Yeah, seems likely.

P.S. If we're complaining about the lack of documentation for the cryptic
output of the Debian tool set, can we say some words about aptitude?
Seriously.

Please see /usr/share/doc/aptitude/README

Probabbly the most complete README in Debian Archive

I would not complaint about aptitude documentation, but yes about all that packages that are shipping with a poor /usr/share/doc/xxx directory and without package-doc package (which would be nice to have).

At my system:
1364 /usr/share/doc/xxx directories with a README file (seems fine to me)
3591 /usr/share/doc/xxx directories without a README file (many of that packages sure have manpages and/or info files)

I think it would be a improvement that README file be present at each package, at least providing a mininum info about the package / program / library.

i know it is a utopy, but would be beatiful an unified README file with sections like:

What it is? Why it is installed? Is it configurable? What manpage or doc to read? Links to webs

I know, it is Debian, you want, you can start to do the work ...

It is only a suggestion that would be Debian better for me.

Sometimes I says , oh no, another /usr/share/doc/xxx package only with changelog (necessary for me too!) and license (perfect too!!) ! Where could I learn about what is that library or that program! ?

i know how to search manpages, and search on the internet and search at https://packages.qa.debian.org/common/index.html ... but it would be useful to have a nice README for every package.

Well I hope this mail not disturb anybody, it is only a simple idea

Regards!