Re: Hardware life expectancy

On 7/25/21 6:38 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
. . .
Nowadays, I'm still planning to use that same Thinkpad X30 to display
PDFs in the classroom (when I get to meet students physically again),
and more than half of my machine are older than 10 years old.
Better yet, they don't seem significantly slower than my newer machines.

So, yes, 10 year old machines and still very much relevant.

I'm still making productive use of a G4 "bionic desk lamp" iMac, and of a DOS/Linux dual-boot that I built from mostly cast-off parts, a few of them even older than the iMac. And I will continue to do so even once I get my new Meerkat fully deranged to suit my tastes.

But on the other hand, computers are not Linotype machines (I regularly operate one from 1954: that's eight years older than I am), and aren't built to last forever. (The speaker on the iMac quit some months back, and it now has a chronic overheating problem.)

--
JHHL