Re: Phone

Joe wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 07:39:01 -0400
> Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
>
> > The requests over the last few days to install Debian on phones
> > are entirely blocked by practical issues, not philosophical --
> > it is perfectly reasonable to want control and thus privacy and
> > security on such a powerful instrument.

> OK, spending another couple of days making near-random changes will
> probably solve this, but my point is that I did the job on a buster
> netbook in five minutes, on my Android phone in about ten, and the
> reason it is taking hours on the other mobile devices is one of
> philosophy, which translates into (lack of) practicality.

Clearly I did not make myself understandable, or else you would
not have this confusion.

You have a problem with making a phone do what you want, because
of the philosophy of the manufacturer, who also writes the OS.

If the OS were replaced with Debian, you would not have this problem.

The difficulty with installing Debian on your Apple device is not a
philosophical difficulty. It is a practical one. If/when it is solved,
you will not have this class of problem.

-dsr-