Re: Debian Security

On 2021-07-24 at 13:44, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2021-07-24 12:11 p.m., Georgi Naplatanov wrote:
>
>> On 7/24/21 6:47 PM, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrot
>>
>>> I simply want to have a local copy of the security updates so I
>>> can install machine really fast with some limited bandwidth. And
>>> I can't use apt-cache because I want this to be on a hard disk
>>> and independant of the network.
>>
>> In such case you can use proxy like Squid.
>
> If you explain to me, how does a proxy work on a hard disk that I
> plug into a computer when needed to do a install then I'll send you
> bitcoins.
>
> I've said "I want this to be independent of the network".

It's possible that that may have been interpreted as referring to
*external* networks, i.e., network traffic that goes across hardware
that is not 100% under your control.

For a lot of people and uses, it would be entirely reasonable to set up
a local computer to act as a Debian mirror or proxy, and then have other
computers talk to that one when downloading the packages for
installation rather than going out to the Internet or any public mirror.

If your context is one where that sort of local-network setup isn't
viable or for some reason isn't suitable, fair enough, but the necessary
information to conclude that wasn't made available in your problem
statement.

(And the fact that you said "limited bandwidth" does seem to indicate
that there is some network activity expected to be involved, so the
possibility of bringing in a local-network cache in order to minimize
external-network traffic does seem like a reasonable thing to suggest.)

--
   The Wanderer