Re: Radeon 6800 XT: 100% GPU core usage & 74 Watts when idle

Hello,
Le 24/07/2021 à 01:07, piorunz a écrit :
On 23/07/2021 23:44, The Wanderer wrote:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=267503 (from just a few weeks
ago) reports that this is fixed in kernel 5.12.14.

Debian testing, being frozen, is still on 5.10.x:

$ uname -r
5.10.0-8-amd64

5.10.0-7 didn't exhibit this behavior, but anything newer is on a Radeon Vega 56. Self compiled kernel with Debian kernel config doesn't have this bug either. Many commits touch AMD "powerplay" features in 5.10.0-8.

Yes, that's what I use.

The release is AFAIK less than two weeks away (barring delays), and
after that it's likely that a newer version will pass into testing. Once
a newer-enough version is available, it should resolve this.

For additional reference,
https://forums.lenovo.com/topic/view/27/5085655 has another report of
the issue, and links to
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1632 as being an
upstream(?) bug report which covers it. Not sure how directly applicable
those are, but just in case...

Thanks! Looks like someone found one particular commit which causes
this. They say, that fixed commit will be in kernel 5.13. I hope this
will be imported to Debian's 5.10 LTS as well, so I can continue to use
5.10?
Should I report it somewhere as Debian bug, to make sure its being
backported?

Pinning 5.10.0-7 resolves the issue for me, as is compiling a newer upstream kernel (5.13.4 currently).

--

With kindest regards, piorunz.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org