Re: Radeon 6800 XT: 100% GPU core usage & 74 Watts when idle

On 2021-07-23 at 18:33, Dan Ritter wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 2021-07-23 at 16:44, piorunz wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am using Bullseye 11 with Radeon 6800 XT and noticed higher
>> > temperature and noise comparing to Windows, so I investigated this and
>> > found the fault. GPU core works at 100% usage at all times, even at idle.
>> >
>> > $ cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/gpu_busy_percent
>> > 99
>>
>> That's interesting. I get the same output from that command (with a 5600
>> XT), but I'm not noticing any meaningful noise that seems to be coming
>> from the card.
>
> RX560: 0

Permit me to correct myself: I have a 5700 XT, not a 5600 XT. (I always
get that mixed up, because I have a Ryzen 5600 CPU.)

Given the below, it'd be interesting to know what kernel that's with.

>> My initial guess is that this is either A: bad data / false positive
>> (i.e., it's not really that bad under the hood), or B: a limitation of
>> the Linux-side drivers.
>
> It's plausible that there's something in power management that
> can and should be turned on, and isn't.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=267503 (from just a few weeks
ago) reports that this is fixed in kernel 5.12.14.

Debian testing, being frozen, is still on 5.10.x:

$ uname -r
5.10.0-8-amd64

The release is AFAIK less than two weeks away (barring delays), and
after that it's likely that a newer version will pass into testing. Once
a newer-enough version is available, it should resolve this.

For additional reference,
https://forums.lenovo.com/topic/view/27/5085655 has another report of
the issue, and links to
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1632 as being an
upstream(?) bug report which covers it. Not sure how directly applicable
those are, but just in case...

--
   The Wanderer