Re: Radeon 6800 XT: 100% GPU core usage & 74 Watts when idle

On 23/07/2021 22:46, The Wanderer wrote:

gpu-mon (from rickslab-gpu-utils)

Where does that come from? It's not in current Debian stable or testing.

In Debian, there is old ricks-amdgpu-utils, which doesn't work. New
package has been renamed upstream to rickslab-gpu-utils and most likely
will be available in Debian 12. Today you can install that from apt
repository they maintain.

Windows 10
one monitor: 9-11 W, GPU clock 0-10 MHz, Memory Clock 40-100 MHz
two monitors: 34 W, GPU clock 0-10 MHz, Memory Clock 2000 MHz

Debian 11
one monitor: 74 W, GPU clock 2475 MHz, Memory Clock 2000 MHz
two monitors: 74 W, GPU clock 2475 MHz, Memory Clock 2000 MHz

Where are the Debian-side results from?

From rickslab-gpu-utils. radeontop shows the same:
1.00G / 1.00G Memory Clock 100.00%
2.47G / 2.58G Shader Clock  95.92%
Graphics pipe 100.00%

Regarding memory clock: I don't even know real MHz frequency of the
chip, some tools in Windows/Linux show 1000 or 2000 MHz, but that's
irrelevant; Cold, idle card should be at 100 Mhz tops on memory and 10
Mhz on GPU core.

My initial guess is that this is either A: bad data / false positive
(i.e., it's not really that bad under the hood), or B: a limitation of
the Linux-side drivers.

Yes that must be Linux driver problem. Results are accurate I believe,
under Windows GPU fan will never spin unless gaming, because it's using
10W (one monitor) or 34W (two monitors). In Debian it's 74W minimum.

If you're willing to try out the official direct-from-AMD drivers (which
may or may not include an associated stack, I'm not sure), and they give
different results, that could be informative. I'm not willing to try
those out under present circumstances, so I can't directly contribute
information there.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to install official AMD drivers on
Debian correctly. I've tried, but there was no Xorg, it failed to start,
I had to uninstall and revert. They publish Ubuntu version only and it's
not compatible with Debian 11, unless I don't know some tricks.

Also I've tried Mesa from experimental (via apt pinning and manual
install), Mesa 21.1.4-1 is there, but that didn't changed anything. I
reverted back to default, Bullseye repo got Mesa 20.3.5-1.

--

With kindest regards, piorunz.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org