Re: where can i find a list of wireless adapter that debian support

loushanguan2015@sina.com wrote:

> Thanks, as most adapters require firmware, it's not handy for user to supply them during installation
> can't debian do a better job? i care more about ease of use than freeware philosophymany other distro just supply them

If all distros were the same, why would we have more than one?

Debian cares enough about software freedom to make you jump
through a hoop on this issue, but not so much that finding the
hoop is impossible.

In this case, activating the non-free repository in /etc/apt/sources.list
is the hoop.

> these non-free firmware are same as software without source code??

They aren't the complete driver, but rather a chunk of software that
runs on the device itself. The manufacturer does not supply the source
code for that, but allows the binary object to be distributed. It is
called firmware because it is between software and hardware.

-dsr-