Re: VirtualBox Problem

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 08:12:53PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
> On 2021-07-17 20:00, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> > First off, let me say that I am not trying to start a war or nasty
> > exchange4of insults.
> >
> > I am forced by circumstance to run a Linux program on my Windows 10
> > Laptop. In order to accomplish his I have installed Buster in a
> > VirtualBox v-6.1. Although the AMD Rizen 5 CPU has eight threads, of
> > which the VirtualBox only allows four of the threads to be used.
> >
> > Unfortunately , perhaps not too surprisingly, neither the Windows 10
> > or VirtualBox sources seem to have a solution that I can find. Google
> > is defiantly not my friend.
> >

> > Can anyone in Linux land be of help?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> Rather than faffing about I've put Debian on an external usb SSD and it
> seems quick enough.
> mick
> --
> Key ID    4BFEBB31

On at least Windows 10 Pro (and soon, probably Windows 10 Home) WSL2 is an
easy choice. It does allow you to run native Debian quite nicely over a
small shim package which ties into Hyper-V.

It's not much to install - you pick up a copy of the Debian image from the
Microsoft store (though maybe Debian should also make it available?) and
it works well. Enhancements are promised later in the year which will
allow easy use of a GUI. The Debian image is cost free FLOSS software and
is produced by a Debian developer (unlike some of the other Linux
distributions in the Microsoft store made available for payment).

You're on a Microsoft kernel and a few commands don't work - shutdown -h
isn't appropriate, you just exit the terminal application - but it is
certainly not the worst way to do this.

Or there's Hyper-V itself.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater