Re: How do I mount the USB stick containing the installer in Rescue Mode?

On Thu 15 Jul 2021 at 11:43:26 (+0200), Stella Ashburne wrote:
> Debian Bullseye's installer is on a USB stick and I used it to boot into Rescue Mode. If it's of any relevance, the partition table type is GPT, with UEFI+Secure Boot enabled.
>
> After booting into Rescue Mode and filling out the required details onscreen, I chose /dev/perfect-vg/root as the device to use as root file system. If you may recall, the volume group perfect-vg is LUKS-encrypted.
>
> When asked if I wanted to mount the separate /boot/efi partition, I entered No.
>
> Next, I entered Executive a shell in /dev/perfect-vg/root
>
> I typed the command nano /etc/apt/sources.list and commented out all the lines therein.
>
> I added the the following line:
>
> deb [trusted=yes] file:/media/myusb bullseye main
>
> I saved the sources.list file.
>
> I created a directory called /media/myusb and issued the following command to mount the USB stick to it:
>
> mount /dev/sdb1 /media/myusb

Presumably given as root.

> The error message is:
>
> mount: /media/myusb: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or mount point busy

Type:
$ ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/
to see what the kernel called your stick. Debian installers have LABELs.

> Below are the results of cat /etc/fstab

> /dev/mapper/perfect--vg-root   /              ext4     errors-remount-ro   0   1
> /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation

There's a # before that line

> UUID=A30E-2C33    /boot/efi     vfat    umask=0077      0      1
> /dev/mapper/perfect--vg-swap    none       swap    sw   0      0
> /dev/sr0      /media/cdrom0     udf, iso9660 user, noauto   0  0
> /media/myusb

That line looks spurious. If you put it there, I would remove it for
the time being. When you mount a USB stick as root, you don't need
an entry in fstab, but you do need to create a mount point first.
Of course, this has been done for you as a convenience: there is
a /mnt directory specifically for temporarily mounting a device.

Cheers,
David.