[OT] Selling beer (was: Re: Working for free [was: Offensive variable names])

On Tue Jul 13 16:50:38 2021 Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 21:25:17 +0100
> Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> Back when we had TV advertisements
>> for beer, it was always the rubbish beers that got the publicity.
>
> here (Germany) we still have those TV ads for beer, and I can assure
> you that the advertised brands (its not up to me to decide whether
> they are rubbish or not) are the ones that are available virtually
> everywhere, so I believe that it is safe to assume that they are
> also the brands that sell.
> So yes, unfortunately at least in some cases advertisements apparently
> pay.

If they didn't pay, companies would have stopped sinking vast amounts
of effort and expense into them a century ago.

>> As for 'targetted advertising', I've never seen any. When I notice
>> the ads around the sides of web pages, none of them are aimed at me
>
> The same here. So maybe I have developed some skills obscuring my
> "profile" to "them", or (maybe more likely) I am just too dumb to
> realize that those ads *are* in fact targeted at me :-)

If they're targeted at me, I try to make sure they miss.

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.