Re: Boot usb

Hi,

maybe the USB stick mounts automagically if you just plug it out after
copying the ISO and then plug it in again.
(I personally dislike this automount feature.)

Gunnar Gervin wrote:
> I have burned iso image to usb but it is unmounted.

Do you mean that it cannot be mounted ?

It must not be mounted during the copy procedure. Afterwards it should be
mountable by the base device and also by some of its partitions.
In case of amd64 ISO the partition 1 points to the ISO filesystem and
partition 2 points to the FAT filesystem of the EFI System Partition.

> Tried mount sdb; sudo mount /dev/sdb & also sudo mount /dev/sdb1
> But Terminal said "Cannot find in /etc/fstab" in both tries.

This message comes if you omit the name of the mount directory and the
device is not listed in fstab where the system could find the directory
name.

This fails for me:

  $ sudo mount /dev/sdc
  mount: can't find /dev/sdc in /etc/fstab

This succeeds:

  $ mount /dev/sdc /mnt/iso
  mount: /dev/sdc is write-protected, mounting read-only

The message about "write-protected" is normal. It just means that Linux
has no driver for write operations in ISO 9660 filesystems. That's ok,
because booting a Debian ISO needs only readability of the filesystem.

You need an existing directory for the role of "/mnt/iso". It should be
empty. I made my "/mnt/iso" by

  $ mkdir /mnt/iso

although this is quite oldfashioned. Meanwhile the mount points of
removable media have different names (for the bleeping automats).
Whatever, any directory will do. Just don't use one with important files
in it, because they will be hidden while the directory is used as mount
point.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas