Code Hosts with sights on the inevitable [Was: Working for free....]

On 7/13/21, Brian Thompson <brian@hashvault.io> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 08:01:58AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
>>If you maintain a local copy of your code and just push it to Github
>>for serving it publicly (which is what I do, and what I assume most
>>developers do), you haven't lost control of your code - if / when the
>>host does anything you don't like, you take the existing code and make
>>it available elsewhere, and stop posting future code to the offending
>>service. (It'll still have a copy of any existing code, of course - but
>>that's inevitable with FLOSS software regardless of where you host it.)
>
> Agreed. Plus, as long as you have a proper license, like GPLv3, then you
> should be good to host your code on a provider like GitHub, or at least
> use that host as a mirror.

Am not doing well putting words together this morning, but for this
topic: There inevitably comes an end to each LIFE. Which hosting
option or options are being consciously used because that's where
Developers' legacies of coding are most likely to remain publicly
available for the longest amount of time possible after folks pass
away?

Github's hosting an account that has been dormant for about four years
now. It may be one of the few places on this planet where anything
about that developer is available. Calling that information priceless
today is putting it mildly because there's a possibility that his
passing was... "highly premature"...

And, no, not of his own accord if so.

Cindy......
--