Re: Offensive variable names [was: Cool down ...]

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 05:39:43PM +0300, Kevin N. wrote:
>>Right, and I myself have lodged a ticket to ban bar after foo because it
>>might lead to blithe attitudes concerning alcohol in our vulnerable
>>youth.
>
>Don't get me wrong: like many other things, offensive languages is a serious
>one.
>But, instead of helping, I think that you are in fact minimizing its gravity
>with such exaggerated actions.

It's only offensive to the people who are offended.  Theoretically all
words are offensive since any word can be offensive to anyone just because
they deem it so.  Censoring (i.e. changing the language) of everything to
appease everyone 1) isn't possible, 2) is foolish at best, 3) is a
waste of everyone's time, and 4) creates a power hungry mob of zealots
looking to dismantle any word they deem offensive (e.g. paper machete).

It's amazing how many people have bought into the corporatization of the$
Internet.$
--~$
Best regards,$

Brian T$