Re: Offensive variable names [was: Cool down ...]

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 04:59:52AM +0800, jeremy ardley wrote:

> On 12/07/2021 4:32 am, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> You can also run into problems with different languages. For
> instance a Swedish developer would have no problem using terms fart,
> prick, and fack, but some English speakers might take offense. The
> are actually in English fast, small dot, and small compartment.
>
> (WRT fart I used to do fartlek training for orienteering without
> major problems)

Definitely. My take is that we are currently seeing "growing pains",
because "our" community used to be much more homogeneous. And I think,
in the long term, this is a Good Thing, if we all manage to be a bit
tolerant (tolerance is always an "outward motion", i.e. you start
always with yourself :)

Cheers
 - t