Re: Offensive variable names [was: Cool down ...]

On 12/07/2021 4:32 am, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 08:25:22PM +0000, ghe2001 wrote:

<IMHO>

Master/slave my be less than optimal when describing humans, but they're very useful when working with DNS.

And blacklist is useful in SMTP, among others.  IIRC, the word refers to voting in classical Athens, not humans.

Offensive terms should, of course, be removed from public discourse, but programmers are free to use any string they want to name a variable in their code -- especially when released compiled.
The latter may be too simplistic if you're doing free software:
publishing the code becomes part of the game, and if you hope
that people from all over the world reads and enhances the source,
you're smack in the middle of public discourse.

Back to my preferred aphorism: "all generalisations suck" ;-)

Cheers
  - t

You can also run into problems with different languages. For instance a Swedish developer would have no problem using terms fart, prick, and fack, but some English speakers might take offense. The are actually in English fast, small dot, and small compartment.

(WRT fart I used to do fartlek training for orienteering without major problems)