Re: Need help with ffmpeg installation - strange behaviour of my system - am I correct here?

On Fri, Jul 09, 2021 at 08:41:17PM +0200, Joerg Kampmann wrote:
> Hello - I tried to install ffmpeg (a normal Debian package) and got some
> strange messages. the ffmpeg-group adviced me to go to a Debian group. I
> hope I am correct here in this group.
>
> I am running Debian 9 on a Fujitsu TX 100 S1 computer ...

This is not the current stable release.  You may wish to *consider*
upgrading, as running older releases tends to be incompatible with
the desire to install recent versions of web browsers, video players,
and other large and complicated packages.

> /Hello group I wanted to install ffmpeg under Debian 9 and got some
> errormessages (in German):

For the purpose of posting to debian-user, you may wish to switch your
locale temporarily to English.  Since you're using a shell with root
privileges, the simplest way would probably be to run the command

export LANG=C

before your apt commands.  The LANG setting will go away when you exit
from the root shell.

> root@primergy:~# apt install ffmpeg
> Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
> Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
> Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
> Einige Pakete konnten nicht installiert werden. Das kann bedeuten, dass
> Sie eine unmögliche Situation angefordert haben oder, wenn Sie die
> Unstable-Distribution verwenden, dass einige erforderliche Pakete noch
> nicht erstellt wurden oder Incoming noch nicht verlassen haben.
> Die folgenden Informationen helfen Ihnen vielleicht, die Situation zu lösen:
>
> Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
>  ffmpeg : Hängt ab von: libavcodec58 (>= 10:4.1.6) soll aber nicht
> installiert werden
>           Hängt ab von: libavdevice58 (>= 10:4.1.6) soll aber nicht
> installiert werden
>           Hängt ab von: libavfilter7 (>= 10:4.1.6) soll aber nicht
> installiert werden
>           Hängt ab von: libavformat58 (>= 10:4.1.6) soll aber nicht
> installiert werden
>           Hängt ab von: libavresample4 (>= 10:4.1.6) soll aber nicht
> installiert werden
>           Hängt ab von: libavutil56 (>= 10:4.1.6) soll aber nicht
> installiert werden
>           Hängt ab von: libpostproc55 (>= 10:4.1.6) soll aber nicht
> installiert werden
>           Hängt ab von: libswresample3 (>= 10:4.1.6) soll aber nicht
> installiert werden
>           Hängt ab von: libswscale5 (>= 10:4.1.6) soll aber nicht
> installiert werden
> E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene
> defekte Pakete.

These dependencies are *not* correct for a Debian 9 installation.

According to <https://packages.debian.org/stretch/ffmpeg> the dependencies
should be   libavcodec57 (>= 7:3.2.14)   and so on.

This means you've probably got repositories other than the stretch
(Debian 9) sources, and these are causing a conflict.

If this were my system, I would first remove all of the non-Debian-9
sources and run "apt-get update".  If ffmpeg still can't be installed
after that, then it's possible you have already installed some of the
dependencies from non-Debian-9 sources, and you may need to remove
those.  This could cascade into a full disaster if you're unlucky.  This
is why we normally recommend against mixing sources from multiple Debian
versions, or using sketchy outside sources.