Re: apt tells me that grub-efi, grub2-common are no longer needed

On 2021-07-07 at 08:19, Anssi Saari wrote:

> Markus <debianer@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> So it seems that apt-listbugs has done the pinning. Right?
>
> Right and while I've never used apt-listbugs, it should've asked you
>  what to do when you updated your system? Since the issue concerns
> ARM based systems only, binning was not the correct choice.
>
> As the bug is fixed now

Is it?

I saw two bugs listed under the 30000 apt-listbugs pins: #984520 and
#990082.

#990082 is for shim-signed, and it does seem to be closed now, but if
I'm reading the discussion correctly that's not the package we're
concerned with.

$984520 is for grub-efi-amd64, which I think is the package we're
concerned with, and as far as I can tell it's still open.

> it seems to me apt-listbugs should clean this up by itself, it's
> supposed to run periodically. I guess you could run it manually too.

If I'm not mistaken, the cleanup will only happen when the appropriate
package version is available in the repositories configured as visible
in /etc/apt/sources.list*.

As far as I can see at a quick glance, the package versions with the fix
are not in testing; they're only in unstable and in buster-security. If
Markus is not tracking either of those repos, then the fixed version
won't show as available yet, so the pin won't be automatically removed.

(I learned something today; I thought the check for removing the pin was
done at apt-listbugs invocation time, not on a daily cron job. In
hindsight it makes sense, since apt-listbugs can be invoked manually and
the invoking user probably wouldn't have write access to modify
/etc/apt/preferences/ contents, but I wasn't expecting it.)

--
   The Wanderer