Re: Bullseye installation problem (with Matrox GPU)

On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 04:26:52PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Andrew M.A. Cater composed on 2021-07-06 12:56 (UTC):
>
> > Try installing firmware-misc-nonfree which will pull in firmware-amd-graphics
> > I think.
>
> > I normally install firmware-linux-free firmware-linux-nonfree
> > firmware-misc-nonfree - that covers all bases.
>
> > The AMD firmware is not in the standard firmware-linux-nonfree, from memory.
>
> > It's installed on my HP Microserver which is also Matrox G200
>
> Matrox has absolutely nothing to do with AMD except that they both "provide"
> (manufacture?) graphics devices. If your HP G200e is working, then so should
> Chris' be able to as well.

You may be right - but I found that installing the AMD frimware solved
something for me. I've two HP Microserver Gen 8 machines here. Fonts
maybe.

> The G200e is a special evolution of the original G200/G400/G450/G550/G650 series
> that last I knew was no longer supported upstream since KMS matured. AFAIK, the
> G200e was supposedly the only chip supported by MGA X driver patches intended to
> keep X viable on HP servers without anyone willing to provide kernel support for
> KMS on Matrox.
>
> I do have the MGA driver xserver-xorg-video-mga dysfunctional on (an AGP) G550 in
> i686 Bullseye by disabling KMS via nomodeset on, and adding iomem=relaxed to, the
> kernel command line, without installing firmware-misc-nonfree. The dysfunction is
> the screen blanks momentarily at random times, but is otherwise normal as long as
> xrandr is not needed to configure the screen. Installing firmware-misc-nonfree
> doesn't help.
> --
> Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
> 	based on faith, not based on science.
>
>  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!
>
> Felix Miata

Good news, then - apparently 5.10 now supports this better with KMS and will
also support the non-server G200 on Matrox cards

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.10-Matrox-G200

All the best, as ever,

Andy Cater