Re: Bullseye installation problem (with Matrox GPU)

Andrew M.A. Cater composed on 2021-07-06 12:56 (UTC):

> Try installing firmware-misc-nonfree which will pull in firmware-amd-graphics
> I think.

> I normally install firmware-linux-free firmware-linux-nonfree
> firmware-misc-nonfree - that covers all bases.

> The AMD firmware is not in the standard firmware-linux-nonfree, from memory.

> It's installed on my HP Microserver which is also Matrox G200

Matrox has absolutely nothing to do with AMD except that they both "provide"
(manufacture?) graphics devices. If your HP G200e is working, then so should
Chris' be able to as well.

The G200e is a special evolution of the original G200/G400/G450/G550/G650 series
that last I knew was no longer supported upstream since KMS matured. AFAIK, the
G200e was supposedly the only chip supported by MGA X driver patches intended to
keep X viable on HP servers without anyone willing to provide kernel support for
KMS on Matrox.

I do have the MGA driver xserver-xorg-video-mga dysfunctional on (an AGP) G550 in
i686 Bullseye by disabling KMS via nomodeset on, and adding iomem=relaxed to, the
kernel command line, without installing firmware-misc-nonfree. The dysfunction is
the screen blanks momentarily at random times, but is otherwise normal as long as
xrandr is not needed to configure the screen. Installing firmware-misc-nonfree
doesn't help.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata