Re: 2 NIC's

On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 02:04:09PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 06 iul 21, 07:03:38, David wrote:
> > The first question from Jeremy, the value of
> > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is 0, connecting to the thin client via
> > putty and using nano as an editor, it tells me I can't alter this
> > value, I am logged in as root.
>
> Because it's a special file and anyway, changing the value wouldn't
> persist across reboots.

Expanding on this, /proc and /sys are special pseudo-file systems
which present kernel interfaces as "files".  You can read most of
them and write to some of them, but you cannot "edit" them.

If you want to change the value of ip_forward, you need to open that
file and write the new value to it.  Usually this is done with a shell
running as root:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

As Andrei mentioned, this is a temporary change, which won't persist
across reboot.  To make this change "permanent", you also need to edit
the /etc/sysctl.conf file (which is a real file).  There's probably
a section that looks like this:

# Uncomment the next line to enable packet forwarding for IPv4
#net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

That's the section you're looking for.  If yours doesn't have this
section, then you'll just have to add the appropriate line yourself.