Re: Limit memory consumption of an ad hoc process

The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2021-07-05 at 22:42, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>
> > Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
> >> And in any case, when you test this stuff, use the subshells.
> >
> > Well, my goal is to find a way to limit programs run from cron, PHP's
> > proc_open() etc., not from the interactive shell. What would you advise?
>
> Is there any reason to think that the ulimit approach wouldn't work in
> that type of context, as well as when invoked from within a shell?

That depends how you are going to *use* the ulimit approach in that type
of context. For example, there is no way to specify ulimit in PHP's
proc_open(), maybe because setrlimit() is OS-specific.

There are other cases when binaries are executed directly, without a
shell, hence the need for a wrapper.

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/