Re: Limit memory consumption of an ad hoc process

On 2021-07-05 at 22:42, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Greg Wooledge wrote:

>> And in any case, when you test this stuff, use the subshells.
>
> Well, my goal is to find a way to limit programs run from cron, PHP's
> proc_open() etc., not from the interactive shell. What would you advise?

Is there any reason to think that the ulimit approach wouldn't work in
that type of context, as well as when invoked from within a shell?

> The equivalent of FreeBSD's `/usr/bin/limits` wrapper seems to be
> `/usr/bin/prlimit` but I'm really at a loss what limit to specify for
> testing (the equivalent of `ulimit -v`). Should be RLIMIT_AS but --as
> crashes prlimit:
>
> $ prlimit --as=1048576 /bin/ls
> /bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: libselinux.so.1: failed to map segment from shared object
> $
> $ prlimit --as=1048576 stress-ng
> Segmentation fault
> $

I'm not familiar with prlimit, but just looking at this output and at
the man page, what unit do you think the value of the --as argument is
in? If it's in bytes, then what you're doing here is specirying an
address-space size of only one megabyte, and I don't find it at all
surprising if that's too small for the combination of ls plus its libraries.

On my machine, ls is 144K, and its dependent libraries (as reported by
ldd, and exclusing linux-vdso.so.1 which doesn't seem to be an actual
file in the filesystem) range in size from 19K (libdl) to 1.8M (libc),
for a total of 2.4M. That's more than twice the hypothesized
one-megabyte threshold.

--
   The Wanderer