Re: Memory allocation failed during fsck of large EXT4 filesystem

On 7/5/2021 4:30 AM, Reiner Buehl wrote:
Hi all,

I have a corrupt EXT4 filesystem where fsck.ext4 fails with the error message:

Error storing directory block information (inode=366740508, block=0, num=406081): Memory allocation failed

/dev/vg_data/lv_mpg: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
e2fsck: aborted

/dev/vg_data/lv_mpg: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

The system has 4GB of memory and a 8GB swap partition. The filesystem has 7TB. Is there a quick way to enlarge the swap space to help fsck.ext4 to finish the repair? I do not have any unused partitions but have space for swap on other filesystems if that is possible.
Are you sure it's not a ulimit issue? Does the ulimit command return unlimited?