Re: How to verify newly burned disc [Was: Fatal error while burning CD]

Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 02, 2021 at 08:51:54PM +0100, Richmond wrote:
>> Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> writes:
>>
>> > So, does anyone know about a way to verify the integrity of burned
>> > audio-CDs?
>> >

>> This is a bit speculative because I cannot test it, but:
>>
>> k3b and brasero have options to verify written cd.
>>
>> I think you could verify using diff, i.e. diff /dev/cdrom file.iso
>>
>> Or you could mount the cd image via the loopback device, mount the cd,
>> and then compare the .wav files individually to find which one the error
>> is in.
>
> Audio CDs do not have a file system.  There's nothing to mount.  There
> are no ".wav files".
>
> To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to verify every bit of
> audio on an audio CD.  They're simply not structured in a way that makes
> it possible to retrieve a stream of digital audio data.  Programs that
> "rip" CD audio to files use heuristics and multiple tries and fancy
> stuff like that, trying to get a good approximation of the original data
> back from the disc.
>
> One thing I suppose you could do is generate the CDDB "disc ID" which is
> based on the CD's metadata (track lengths), and compare it to the expected
> value.  This will at least tell you whether you've got the right number
> of audio tracks and the correct lengths.

Using Caja file manager I have put in the localtion bar (or rather it put in)

cdda://sr0/

This shows me each of the wave files on the disk as track1.wav,
track2.wav etc. The disk is a pre-recorded one I bought in a shop. It
could be some clever stuff that caja is doing though.