Re: How to verify newly burned disc [Was: Fatal error while burning CD]

On Fri, Jul 02, 2021 at 08:51:54PM +0100, Richmond wrote:
> Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> writes:
>
> > So, does anyone know about a way to verify the integrity of burned
> > audio-CDs?
> >

> This is a bit speculative because I cannot test it, but:
>
> k3b and brasero have options to verify written cd.
>
> I think you could verify using diff, i.e. diff /dev/cdrom file.iso
>
> Or you could mount the cd image via the loopback device, mount the cd,
> and then compare the .wav files individually to find which one the error
> is in.

Audio CDs do not have a file system.  There's nothing to mount.  There
are no ".wav files".

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to verify every bit of
audio on an audio CD.  They're simply not structured in a way that makes
it possible to retrieve a stream of digital audio data.  Programs that
"rip" CD audio to files use heuristics and multiple tries and fancy
stuff like that, trying to get a good approximation of the original data
back from the disc.

One thing I suppose you could do is generate the CDDB "disc ID" which is
based on the CD's metadata (track lengths), and compare it to the expected
value.  This will at least tell you whether you've got the right number
of audio tracks and the correct lengths.