Re: Whole Disk Encryption + SSD

On Mon 28 Jun 2021 at 13:36:35 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:

> I do not set the 'discard' (trim) option in fstab(5).  If and when I
> want to erase unused blocks (such as before taking an image), I use
> fstrim(8).

Can you elaborate on a couple of things:

How do you "take an image". Is this equivalent to a conventional
dd if=/dev/sda …, or to some other process?

When I copy an entire conventional drive or partition, all the
free blocks/unused sectors are carefully transferred to the copy.
What improvement does erasing unused blocks achieve?

Cheers,
David.