Re: Disappearing shim-signed after failed dist-upgrade

On Tue 29 Jun 2021, at 22:41, Gareth Evans <donotspam@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Tue 29 Jun 2021, at 17:11, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Except that `apt-get dist-upgrade` doesn't do that (`autoremove` does),
> > > it only removes packages when it determines that it's needed to complete
> > > the dist-upgrade, so a Conflicts or Breaks with an upgraded package.
> >
> > So we can presume, perhaps, that it's a case of ranking:
> > shim-signed being installed as a Recommends is ranked lower
> > than upgrading shim-signed-common, and so it gets removed.
> >
> > All my systems were upgraded successfully because I ignored
> > any arm64 bug reports, so all my lists and caches have been
> > refreshed since, and I don't have access to the control data
> > for shim-signed/1.33+15+1533136590.3beb971-7.
> >
> > Perhaps others can make better informed guesses.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David.
> >

> I suspect "aptitude why shim-signed" may not remain relevant, but if so:
>
> $ aptitude why shim-signed
> i   grub-efi-amd64-signed Recommends shim-signed
>
> apt history shows grub-efi-amd64-signed was last upgraded along with
> other grub* packages, apparently without issue, on 2021-03-03.
>
> Even if I had made use of upgrade rather than dist-upgrade, presumably
> a dist-upgrade would have been indicated here (by the existence of
> packages kept back) and the same position would have resulted - ie.
> having to wait for a potentially essential package to be made available
> in upgraded form so it could be reinstalled so that it could be further
> upgraded in future... no?
>
> $ aptitude why shim-signed-common
> i   shim-signed Depends shim-signed-common (>= 1.36~1+deb10u2+15.4-5~deb10u1)
>
> It seems the upgrade of shim-signed-common may have removed shim-signed.
>
> Shouldn't essential packages involved in dependencies only ever be
> available for upgrade together, unless perhaps the dependency >=version
> remains satisfied?
>
> Before succeeding in installing the newer version of shim-signed, I did
> try installing the version originally installed with Buster, but apt
> said it wasn't available.  In the end I didn't need to attempt
> installing from eg. DVD, but couldn't this be impossible too due to
> other conflicts?
>
> In short, should a boot-related package ever be removed and not
> replaced in the same upgrade operation?
>
> Is it to be expected to have to keep an eye on this sort of thing?
>
> Thanks all.
> Gareth
>

> having to wait for a potentially essential package to be made available
> in upgraded form

That and related comments might not make sense.

I didn't explain there was a period when I couldn't (re)install shim-signed as apt install reported not found or something like that.  Thinking about it further after sending the above, I'm not entirely sure at what point I unpinned shim-signed, so will check logs and snapshots and rack brains and get back to you.

Thanks,
Gareth