Re: Disappearing shim-signed after failed dist-upgrade

On Tue 29 Jun 2021 at 08:29:22 (+0300), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Lu, 28 iun 21, 09:46:17, David Wright wrote:
> >
> > But your evening run of   apt-get -y dist-upgrade   was unconstrained,
> > and so shim-signed could be removed because it was no longer being
> > held onto as a Depends or Recommends.
>
> Except that `apt-get dist-upgrade` doesn't do that (`autoremove` does),
> it only removes packages when it determines that it's needed to complete
> the dist-upgrade, so a Conflicts or Breaks with an upgraded package.

So we can presume, perhaps, that it's a case of ranking:
shim-signed being installed as a Recommends is ranked lower
than upgrading shim-signed-common, and so it gets removed.

All my systems were upgraded successfully because I ignored
any arm64 bug reports, so all my lists and caches have been
refreshed since, and I don't have access to the control data
for shim-signed/1.33+15+1533136590.3beb971-7.

Perhaps others can make better informed guesses.

Cheers,
David.