Re: Buster on Win 10 Problems

Hi,

On 2021-06-29 3:22 p.m., Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> I'm replying, without copying the list.  The program is GWOVina written
> by Shirley W. I. Shu and her research Group at the University of Macau.
> Shirley has been very helpful to me in getting her program up and
> running om my Linux platform. I asked her if she had ported it to
> Windows, but she replied that they had tried a few years ago and ran
> into too much trouble trouble with libraries that they gave up.
>
> I have tried to compile the src in Windows using MS Visual Studio/Visual
> Studio Code but couldn't get very far. That was my first, and last,
> attemp at compiling C++ in a WIndows environment.

Maybe trying by using Cygwin would be a good start. For sure you'll have
at least many if not infinity of problem with trying to compile directly
with MS Visual Studio / Visual C++.

Cygwin give you a somewhat more complete environment with a bash shell,
the "standard" compiler that exists on Linux (gcc/clang), the make
program and all the shell utilities used by most program compilation
process.

You can't normally simply do a "make" from a Windows command prompt and
expect a good result for text application made for Linux. But with
Cygwin, nearly all of the text application will compile, unless they try
to access hardware directly, depend on specific Linux services that
don't exist on Windows, etc.

I'll make a little research for the software you named but if you give
me references then it would be helpful.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside