Re: Synaptic error message

On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 19:11:25 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> A choice between analogue and digital? You really were well off. We
> had to train carrier pigeons to peck out a message with their beaks
> and we needed to be adept at semaphore. Drum skills were a must.

There is no 'digital', it's all analogue with a poor signal/noise ratio.

And no, I'm not kidding. Some of the more obscure digital faults turn
out to require actually looking at the data with a (real) oscilloscope,
where its analogue nature can usually be seen very clearly.

Reflections, jitter, eye height, these are all analogue issues. I once
fixed a fault where a particular simple logic IC had to come from a
particular manufacturer, and someone had fitted one of the same type
number but from a different manufacturer, that had a different input
impedance. Real bleeding-edge, state-of-the-art hardware, that was.

--
Joe