Re: Debian stable - updates

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 05:55:18PM +0200, Christian wrote:
> On https://www.debian.org/security/#keeping-secure under "Keeping your
> Debian system secure" it says:
>
> "You can use apt to easily get the latest security updates. This requires a
> line such as deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates
> main contrib non-free
> in your /etc/apt/sources.list file. Then execute apt-get update && apt-get
> upgrade"
>
> I looked up  the respective file on my system and it looks like this:
> [...]
> 7     deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main
> 8     deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main
> 9
> 10   deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main
> 11   deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main

> From the advice given at the debian page (see above) I gather I have to
> change the contents of line 10, right?

It's not necessary at this time.

> As there's just "main" in it right
> now I'd have to add "contrib" and "non-free" I think.

You only need to add contrib and non-free to the security line if you've
also added it to the primary repository line (line 7 in your file).

You're only using "main" right now, so you only need security updates
for main.

If at any time in the future you add contrib and/or non-free to your
primary repository (e.g. to install firmware or microcode), then you'll
want to add it to the security repository as well, so that you pick up
the security patches for those.