Re: Clipboard

On 6/23/21 08:08, William Lee Valentine wrote:
My comment may be rudimentary.

I copy onto the Windows clipboard all the time (by selecting text with
the mouse and then pressing control/C). I am not then able to paste the
selected text into a text document with one click: I must minimize the
original document (or close it), and I then have two choices.

(1) I can open a second document, click at some point within it, and
press control/V to paste my text into the second document.

(2) I can execute a text editor like Notepad and press control/V, to
paste the selected text into the text editor. I can then tell the text
editor to save the new file as a text document.

-- William Lee Valentine

You didn't mention which display manager you use.  I use KDE and it is really easy to cut and paste.  I believe other DMs have this same capability since I have used it in VMs running those other systems.   The page at "https://userbase.kde.org/Klipper" describes the clipboard:

"Within Plasma there are two different buffers. One is the clipboard and the other is the selection. The clipboard buffer is filled when you press Ctrl + X or Ctrl + C and pasted by using Ctrl + V. The selection buffer is filled by simply marking some text and pasted by pressing the middle mouse button. Having said that it is important to know that Klipper can be configured to hold both buffers."

So after simply highlighting text you can go to another window (say a new document) and past the text with the middle mouse button (usually a scroll button or emulated on a laptop by hitting both left and right touch-pad buttons at the same time).  No ctrl-c ctrl-v.  Plus your clipboard can hold as many items as you want (I have mine set to 60).  So you could go through one document highlighting things you want to copy over and over ... then go to a second document and hitting Alt-c (quick display of highlighted text) to choose what you want to past.  The item to be pasted is at the top of the list.  You can choose another item simply by left clicking that item ... going back to the new document and hitting the middle mouse button!

So you don't have to keep going back and forth between documents just highlight multiple times until you are done (assuming you have set  the count high enough) and then go back to the new document and past each item in whatever order you want.

Hope this helps.

--

...Bob