Re: A feasible method to add examples to man pages?

On Tuesday, June 22, 2021 12:16:19 PM Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > That's what I get for blindly copying and pasting the "directions" from
> > Github. I should've have just told Monnier that the whole shebang
> > can be installed locally, which renders inoperative his nitpick about
> > not having the Net when he needs to cheat the most (or most often).
>
> The difference is that the manpages get installed automatically along
> with the software, so they're always there, always uptodate, without me
> having to think about it beforehand, without having to choose where to
> install them, nor remember where I installed them.
>
> Don't get me wrong: all it means is that I think we want to keep *some*
> examples in the manpages.  IOW, I was just pointing out that the main
> benefit of manpages is that they're local and work in almost all
> situations.  They don't need to contain all the info you'll ever want to
> know, but I usually welcome a few examples in there ;-)

Eventually those extra examples for the man pages could become a local,
automatically installed thing, similiar to the man pages -- there might be a
command analogous to man, but instead exam[ple] (or similar, or wiki), invoked
like:

exam ls
exam tar

etc.