Re: A feasible method to add examples to man pages?

On Ma, 22 iun 21, 05:54:19, Richard Owlett wrote:

> If ~/bin needs to be created, will logging out then in _guarantee_ it gets
> added to my path? That doesn't sound normal.

There is no guarantee :)

On buster /etc/skel/.profile includes the following snippets

    # set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
    if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
        PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
    fi

    # set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
    if [ -d "$HOME/.local/bin" ] ; then
        PATH="$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"
    fi

/etc/skel/.profile should be copied to the home directory of every new
user (at least if created by the installer or with adduser).

Whether your shell and/or login method actually leads to sourcing
~/.profile is a completely different question and depends on:

 1. Login method (Linux console, ssh, display manager, etc.)
 2. How you start your X session (if applicable and not taken care of by
 a display manager)
 3. Terminal emulator (if in a graphical environment)
 4. Shell in use and its configuration

> Is there a Debian specific article on when to use which ...\bin directory in
> $PATH and when/how to permanently add an additional directory.

Not that I'm aware of. On the other hand the ~/.local/bin snippet was
added recently (buster?) and makes sense for those who prefer the XDG
directories over traditional dotfiles in $HOME.

Kind regards,
Andrei