Re: [OT] openPGP: keeping primary key offline?

* 2021-06-22 10:46:58+0200, Marco Möller wrote:

> Regarding openPGP usage, it is recommended in several user guides to
> keep the primary key offline and keeping on the main computer only
> subkeys.

I have read some of such guides. They imply considerations about
relevant threats but unfortunately they often fail to define their
threat model. They also don't acknowledge the fact that their threats
are not relevant to all people. Crypto nerds like to create perfect (?)
security systems.

A user certainly can keep his primary key outside his usual key ring. It
may build an extra barrier (together with passphrase) for others to
steal and use the key -- or for the owner to lose it. But if you don't
consider this a relevant threat then there is no need to keep your
primary key far and offline. Key management guides don't know what is
relevant to you.

--
/// Teemu Likonen - .-.. https://www.iki.fi/tlikonen/