Re: [OT] openPGP: keeping primary key offline?

On Ma, 22 iun 21, 10:46:58, Marco Möller wrote:
> Regarding openPGP usage, it is recommended in several user guides to keep
> the primary key offline and keeping on the main computer only subkeys. The
> argumentation is that if keeping it on the main computer then it could be
> used in an unauthorized way.
> Of course, what is offline, like a good backup, is safer than what is kept
> online, simply because it cannot be accessed on the computer.
> But, would it really be so easy for someone to to use a primary key? Isn't
> the primary key stored passphrase protected, thus stored encrypted?
> Except the case that an attacker would be in my system and actively spying
> on me with a keylogger and other bad tools, I would assume that if someone
> would simply steel (copy and carry away) my complete ~/.gnupg folder with
> the primary key and revocation certificates somewhere being stored in there,
> the usage of these keys and certificates would only be possible after
> decryption upon the correct answer at the passphrase request? Isn't it like
> this?

Yes, for using the key. They could also just use your revocation
certificate for a denial-of-service attack (as far as I recall these are
not protected by a passphrase).

However, with a copy of your private key an attacker can try to
brute-force your passphrase. Because this is done locally they can throw
whatever processing power they have access to at the problem[1].

For most other passwords this is not an issue, because an attacker
trying to brute-force a password will quickly find themselves rate
limited and/or banned and/or the account will be locked after a certain
number of tries.

So it's basically a defence-in-depth approach, which may be relatively
easy for you to implement (the master key is needed only to issue or
revoke sub-keys and sign other keys), but increases the difficulty
significantly for an attacker.

[1] obligatory XKCD: https://xkcd.com/538/

Hope this helps,
Andrei