Re: Creation vs Modification timestamps

Hi,

On 2021-06-12 12:19 a.m., hobie of RMN wrote:
> Lately a script that has worked well and as intended for years and years
> has begun doing something odd.  When archiving a bunch of flat files,
> instead of keeping the creation timestamps on those files, it stamps them
> with the date and time of their being moved.
>
> Why that's happening is a separate issue and one that I do need to find
> the answer to, but my question today is this:  Is it possible to find the
> original creation date-and-time on these files, or is it simply "gone with
> the wind" at this point?
>
> --hobie

I'd say "Gone with the wind".

If you look at the specifications for all the different "ext2/3/4"
filesystem specifications, there's no place it says "store all the
passed date possible". What you see in ls -l is what's in the inode.
There's no secret hidden place with the dates of the file.

Except your original file shouldn't have had their date modified.
--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside