Creation vs Modification timestamps

Lately a script that has worked well and as intended for years and years
has begun doing something odd.  When archiving a bunch of flat files,
instead of keeping the creation timestamps on those files, it stamps them
with the date and time of their being moved.

Why that's happening is a separate issue and one that I do need to find
the answer to, but my question today is this:  Is it possible to find the
original creation date-and-time on these files, or is it simply "gone with
the wind" at this point?

--hobie