Re: Kernel panics on boot with fresh testing install on ASUS UX501J notebook

	Hi.

On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 04:44:35PM +0500, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
> > How can I debug this problem? My suspicion is that this has to do with the
> > kernel upgrade between stable and testing (4.19 to 5.10), but I'm not sure.
>
> The way I would approach this problem is by making boot logs
> persistent [1] so they could be searched for clues (kernel module
> name, device hint, etc) after each boot.

I'd like to suggest a different approach, considering we're dealing with
kernel panics here.
journald is merely a userspace program, so it cannot process kernel
panics reliably (barring kernel OOPSes, of course) - because if you have
a kernel panic, you cannot write in any filesystem.
They've invented kdump - [1], [2] with exact purpose of capturing kernel
panics and storing kernel crash dumps in a persistent way, and crash -
[3] - for analyzing them.

Of course, in its current form kdump requires a real hardware, but it's
hardly an issue here.

Reco

[1] https://mudongliang.github.io/2018/07/02/debian-enable-kernel-dump.html
[2] https://packages.debian.org/buster/kdump-tools