Re: A Grub Boot Question about initrd

On Sat, Jun 05, 2021 at 08:17:38PM -0400, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> On 6/5/21, Martin McCormick <martin.m@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> > First I greatly appreciate all this information as the idea is to
> > fix a problem I probably created long ago though I am not sure
> > how but the short story is that apt-get upgrade ran update-grub
> > and update-initramfs late last Fall and I was able to rescue it
> > but it happened again at the end of April so I figured I had
> > better fix it correctly since I didn't know it was a ticking
> > bomb.
>

> In a different email where deloptes says...
>
> On 6/5/21, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have cloned many installations. You are right if done with dd UUID is the
> > same - but this is perhaps not exactly what you want. I usually either boot
> > in rescue (initrd shell) or have a USB or Debian installation medium to
> > chroot and adjust some settings
>

> Right there at that part is where I run "update-initramfs -u" in my
> own similar kind of maneuvering. THEN I do this
>

> > and finally execute install/update-grub.
> > Now with UEFI it is more likely you have a slightly different use case but
> > UUIDs are what they are.
>

> My success rate has been much higher since taking that tactic. One
> caveat. I'm using LILO these days because GRUB refused to acknowledge
> GPT hard drives in my usage case.

Hi Cindy-Sue

If you're using LILO you are _REALLY_ on your own since LILO is not
maintained any more. IMHO, you really, really need to convert to grub somehow

Where possible, I suggest moving to UEFI boot and grub in all cases when
installing Debian.. "Legacy" [MBR] boot is going away and GPT disks are
standard for larger disks. It doesn't work for all machines - I've an HP
Microserver that will live on legacy MBR forever - but for most things built
in the last 5-10 years there's an option to use UEFI.

All the very best

Andy C.