Re: A Grub Boot Question about initrd

On Saturday 05 June 2021 20:17:38 Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

> On 6/5/21, Martin McCormick <martin.m@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> > First I greatly appreciate all this information as the idea is to
> > fix a problem I probably created long ago though I am not sure
> > how but the short story is that apt-get upgrade ran update-grub
> > and update-initramfs late last Fall and I was able to rescue it
> > but it happened again at the end of April so I figured I had
> > better fix it correctly since I didn't know it was a ticking
> > bomb.
>
> In a different email where deloptes says...
>
> On 6/5/21, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have cloned many installations. You are right if done with dd UUID
> > is the same - but this is perhaps not exactly what you want. I
> > usually either boot in rescue (initrd shell) or have a USB or Debian
> > installation medium to chroot and adjust some settings
>
> Right there at that part is where I run "update-initramfs -u" in my
> own similar kind of maneuvering. THEN I do this
>
> > and finally execute install/update-grub.
> > Now with UEFI it is more likely you have a slightly different use
> > case but UUIDs are what they are.
>
> My success rate has been much higher since taking that tactic. One
> caveat. I'm using LILO these days because GRUB refused to acknowledge
> GPT hard drives in my usage case.
>
> One thing I noticed toward the end before I dumped GRUB was that there
> were repeatedly mismatches down my whole grub.cfg file. Multiple
> blocks would have two different UUIDs that GRUB found for what should
> have been one singular UUID per each partition.
>
> Because there is SO MUCH information in that file, that tiny detail
> didn't immediately leap off the page as surely being a problem in the
> making. I never did figure out what was occurring because the second
> UUID, the wrong one, NEVER matched anything in my system.

That should never happen, Cindy and when it occured, the next thing I'd
run is memtest86, but after I'd changed the sata cables if they are
magenta colored. Aka hot red. There is a caustic effect in that
particular plastic dye that gives them a 4 or 5 year life at best. Its
been known to me as a C.E.T. & 1st phone licensee since back in the 70's
when the J. A. Pan company started useing it in their CB radio mic
cables. There, with the constant flexing a microphone cable gets, the
life of the hot red colored wire was often less than 6 months in a large
car environment. You could cut it off to get fresh copper to solder to,
and literally pour a dark copper rust looking powder out of that
conductor in the cable where it was supposed to be copper.

UUID problems, when they surface here, result in the partition being
given a unique LABEL in my /etc/fstab's. Fixes it right up for the rest
of that drives life.

> Cindy :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)