Re: How do I permanently disable unattended downloads of software/security updates?

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 19:19:23 +0200
Stella Ashburne <rewefie@gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> > Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2021 at 9:26 PM
> > From: "Joe" <joe@jretrading.com>
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: Re: How do I permanently disable unattended downloads of
> > software/security updates?
> First of all, id you surf using the link to the screenshot? Here's
> the URL again: https://ibb.co/5xP7r5t
>
> The screenshot shows that my OS surreptitiously downloads the
> software/security updates without my manual intervention. This is not
> what I want and is the subject of my original post.

Can we establish right now that this is neither expected nor default
behaviour from Debian?

Something has been done to be 'helpful' by some entity, and I'd agree
the DE is likely to be to blame, if unattended-upgrades has been ruled
out. I still find it difficult to believe that someone would recreate
the functionality of u-u by other means, but there are a lot of strange
people in Linux...

A default installation of Debian, without a heavyweight DE, will *not*
do this. Not one of the many Debian installations I have ever run has
ever resulted in this happening, but then I haven't installed either
Gnome or KDE since Gnome 3 arrived.

A possible line of approach: you have a list of the recent downloads.
It is possible that one of the history.log files under /var/log/apt may
be helpful in identifying the time and date of download. The file
/etc/crontab and the files under /etc/cron.d contain timed
instructions. It may be possible to identify the culprit from time and
date correlations.

I do use /etc/crontab myself to run simulated upgrades on my servers
without downloading anything, but sending an email to me if there are
any upgrades available. It will be obvious if you have any cron script
that is doing this kind of thing.

--
Joe