Re: thunderbird

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 10:36:31AM +0200, Marco Möller wrote:
> On 31.05.21 08:48, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >(...)
> >How does "web based" and PGP go together, anyway? Web based
> >means mail handling (and thus encryption/signing) is done
> >on other people's computers.
> >(...)
>
> Web based apps can process data locally at your own computer, for
> instance by using JavaScript.

As trustworthy as your provider on "the other side" is currently
at the moment. Thanks, but I'll pass :)

> Secure PGP support is available for many web mail services by this
> add-on for several browsers: https://www.mailvelope.com/

Yes, of course. But given the browser's "distribution model", which
basically is "I'll take all javascript that site sends me, provided
it doesn't disturb other sites", it's like putting lipstick on a
pig.

> While PGP is still extremely useful for signing email messages and
> for confirming the signature of others, it in my opinion is obsolete
> if thinking about privacy since the general availability of mature
> open source End-to-End encrypting Messaging services like the one
> provided by the matrix.org protocol having clients for all
> platforms, from smartphone clients to graphical PC and even CLI
> clients for Linux.

Thanks, but I'll prefer a decentralised, end-to-end encryptable,
well established messaging infrastructure with a rich choice of
user and transfer agents. It's called e-mail.

Cheers
 - t