Re: thunderbird

On 30.05.21 20:29, fxkl47BF wrote:
for a few decades i have used pine/alpine.
i'm considering a new mail application.
there are more out there than you can shake a stick at.
what are your thoughts of thunderbird.

I am using Thunderbird without problems for years now. I have never had it crashing. Actually I came back to Thunderbird some 3 or 4 years ago (not perfectly sure, it was too long ago) after a short romance with KMail, which crashed frequently and even let all the system become so slow that it was unusable. I don't know about KMail's stability of today. Well the design of the GUI of KMail was quite nice that time, this is what made me testing it. I would test it again if more frequently confirmation about the current stability of KMail would be mentioned somewhere.

So, no problems with the stability of Thunderbird for me.
With some efforts it can be configured to nicely support my workflow, opening right away with opened tabs for EMail, Calendar and Task List, and showing upcoming events also as a side note on the main EMail tab.

One of its weak points is the missing integration into the System Task bar of KDE Plasma - until you have been able to find, install and configure the extra tool from a third party needed for it. Another weak point is its missing integration with GnuPG - in this context I just placed a question about it here on the list: Thunderbird comes with its own PGP implementation and key administration, and for any usage of PGP outside of Thunderbird a parallel administration infrastructure has to be maintained.

I did never use Thunderbird to connect to a MS Exchange server and therefore cannot state about this. I used it in the far past for standard POP, and am using it nowadays for standard IMAP accounts. I used it with its option for keeping all messages in one file, and with the other option to keep each message in an individual file. Both never made me any problems, although converting from the the one format to the other is not offered by Thunderbird and only due to using IMAP accounts I was able to manage this (downloading all messages again from the IMAP server). The decision on how to store the messages has to be done before the creation of an email account in Thunderbird.

In summary, although the configuration of advanced options and appearance needs quite some effort, Thunderbird afterwards works like a charm.

Good Luck!
Marco.