Re: Weird WiFi problem

On 2021-05-24 11:47 a.m., Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> [...]
>>> mine.
>>>
>>> Debian Buster on Dell M4800 Mobile Workstation, Intel Corporation
>>> Wireless 7260 (rev bb) WiFi adapter. The ISP modem offers 2 WiFi bands:
>>> 2.4G & 5G. The system connects automatically to 5G. 2.4G is reserved
>>> for my printer use. Email client - Evolution 3.30.5-1.1.
>>>
>>> Starting of May 1, after system upgrade (dnsutils, bind9-host, and a
>>> bunch of related libs) I started having problems accessing GMail and
>>> Hotmail servers. Evolution ultimately connects and retrieves my mail
>>> but it take it from 20 up to 50 minutes. However, if I switch manually
>>> to 2.4G band or if I wire the laptop to the modem, Evolution connects
>>> on fly with no time. Reinstalling suspected upgrade did not help.
>>>
>>> My ISP replaced the modem with one with a newer firmware - no results
>>>
>>> I finally noticed that when on 5G band my IPv6 address cannot be
>>> detected by any of "what is my IP websites". Only IPv4 is visible to
>>> the outside world. But when I switch to 2.4 band (or wire the laptop to
>>> the modem) my IPv6 address is correctly detected along with the IPv4
>>> one.
>>>
>>> CLI utilities confirm that my IPv6 is enabled and that WiFi interface
>>> is assigned an IPv6 address. One for 2.4G band & a different one for 5G
>>> band. I'm pushing my ISP to investigate their part of the network. But
>>> what bothers me is that I'm not sure in it. What if either Intel
>>> adapter or its Linux driver is in fault. And I have no means to test
>>> that...
>>>
>>> Any suggestions folks?..
>>

>> Where is your Internet connection -- e.g. what country?
>>

>> Who is your ISP?  Please provide a URL.
>>

>> What Internet service plan do you have?  Please provide a URL with the
>> plan details.
>>

>> What is the make and model of your "modem"?  Please provide a URL for
>> the support page.
>>

>> Is the "modem" provided by your ISP acting as a bridge or a router?
>> Where is the DHCP server -- at your ISP or the "modem"?  Where is the
>> DNS proxy -- at your ISP or the "modem"?  Do your local devices have
>> public IP addresses or private LAN addresses?
>>

>> David
>
> I finally narrowed the problem to one specific source by installing
> Windows 10 and KDE Neon in parallel to my Debian. After booting into
> either of them and using 5G WiFi band my IPv6 address is visible from the
> outside world as expected. Thus now I know that both my adapter and its

> Linux driver are fine, which clearly marks my Debian 10 being corrupted

> in some way.
>
> Right now I'm inclined to resolve this odd problem by reinstalling
> Debian. It looks to be an easier path comparing to finding a weird GNOME
> bug without even having a minimal clue of what part might be responsible
> for it.
>
> If this problem shows up once again this will make an end of GNOME for
> me. Using GNOME for many years I've been reluctant to change DE. May be

What a crazy thing here...
Now desktop environment cause network problem !

Ever tried using your network card from the CLI without loading Gnome
and doing a real test, also using Gnome without using the Network
Manager but other way of managing your network connection (as it's not a
obligation to use the NetworkManager).

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside