Re: Weird WiFi problem

On Sun, 23 May 2021 21:53:45 -0700, David Christensen wrote:

> On 5/23/21 4:55 PM, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>> Help needed from somebody with the better networking knowledge than
>> mine.
>>
>> Debian Buster on Dell M4800 Mobile Workstation, Intel Corporation
>> Wireless 7260 (rev bb) WiFi adapter. The ISP modem offers 2 WiFi bands:
>> 2.4G & 5G. The system connects automatically to 5G. 2.4G is reserved
>> for my printer use. Email client - Evolution 3.30.5-1.1.
>>
>> Starting of May 1, after system upgrade (dnsutils, bind9-host, and a
>> bunch of related libs) I started having problems accessing GMail and
>> Hotmail servers. Evolution ultimately connects and retrieves my mail
>> but it take it from 20 up to 50 minutes. However, if I switch manually
>> to 2.4G band or if I wire the laptop to the modem, Evolution connects
>> on fly with no time. Reinstalling suspected upgrade did not help.
>>
>> My ISP replaced the modem with one with a newer firmware - no results
>>
>> I finally noticed that when on 5G band my IPv6 address cannot be
>> detected by any of "what is my IP websites". Only IPv4 is visible to
>> the outside world. But when I switch to 2.4 band (or wire the laptop to
>> the modem) my IPv6 address is correctly detected along with the IPv4
>> one.
>>
>> CLI utilities confirm that my IPv6 is enabled and that WiFi interface
>> is assigned an IPv6 address. One for 2.4G band & a different one for 5G
>> band. I'm pushing my ISP to investigate their part of the network. But
>> what bothers me is that I'm not sure in it. What if either Intel
>> adapter or its Linux driver is in fault. And I have no means to test
>> that...
>>
>> Any suggestions folks?..
>

> Where is your Internet connection -- e.g. what country?
>

> Who is your ISP?  Please provide a URL.
>

> What Internet service plan do you have?  Please provide a URL with the
> plan details.
>

> What is the make and model of your "modem"?  Please provide a URL for
> the support page.
>

> Is the "modem" provided by your ISP acting as a bridge or a router?
> Where is the DHCP server -- at your ISP or the "modem"?  Where is the
> DNS proxy -- at your ISP or the "modem"?  Do your local devices have
> public IP addresses or private LAN addresses?
>

> David

I finally narrowed the problem to one specific source by installing
Windows 10 and KDE Neon in parallel to my Debian. After booting into
either of them and using 5G WiFi band my IPv6 address is visible from the
outside world as expected. Thus now I know that both my adapter and its
Linux driver are fine, which clearly marks my Debian 10 being corrupted
in some way.

Right now I'm inclined to resolve this odd problem by reinstalling
Debian. It looks to be an easier path comparing to finding a weird GNOME
bug without even having a minimal clue of what part might be responsible
for it.

If this problem shows up once again this will make an end of GNOME for
me. Using GNOME for many years I've been reluctant to change DE. May be
it's the time now. :-(

Sorry, I'm answering neither of your (in other circumstances rightful)
questions, since IMHO my findings made them irrelevant to the case.

Thanks