Re: AppleWEBkit

On Wednesday 12 May 2021 01:57:51 Andy Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:22:27PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Is AppleWebKit a bot?
>
> "AppleWebKit" is found in the user agent of web browsers on macOS
> and iOS, including Google Chrome.
>
> https://developers.whatismybrowser.com/useragents/explore/layout_engin
>e_name/webkit/
>
> Since anyone can set any user agent, however, malicious bots often
> pick the user agent of a regular web browser. So while you may see
> bots using a user agent setting that contains that string, blocking
> clients with that string in their user agent is not typically
> helpful.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Thank you Andy.  While they aren't using a great deal of my upload
bandwidth, there sure are a lot of them.

The recent thread involving the mac G5's intrigues me though, so its war
story time:

We bought a pair of them in a quite graphically capable editing kit for
commercial production, paid $25G's for the pair with the editing suite
software. Lasted less than 6 months, apples cheap bushing fans failed
and the air flow is so tightly controlled by blow molded inserts in
those that one fan failure starts a fatal fire needing a fire
extinguisher. And no warranty from apple in that event. An expen$ive
lesson for a middle market (#165 at the time) tv station. Based on our
experience, I didn't think there were any G5s surviving in TYOOL 2021.

Our linux guy then built a total of 8, centos based machines with quality
parts, equiping 4 editing bays with them as the station is now sourceing
8 channels of television with two digital transmitters today. All served
from 3 more centos servers he built, each capable of recording 4
satellite channels at a time, while playing back 4 other channels from a
huge raid array you can replace a failed drive in and it will be rebuilt
while live on the air.

The owner died, his daughter sold it for 26 to grey about 3 years ago.
The new broom declared they were a windows house, get rid of the linux.
Funny thing though, the linux servers were never accused of a bsod. We
let the make goods line of the P&L statement talk. You can't argue with
success, so Linux is still there, working 24/7/365.25. The linux guy?
Now works from home for the fbi at 3x what grey would pay.  Their loss
IMO.  Now you know why windows is an endangered species at this old
retired tv engineers home 20.

Take care and stay well everybody.
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)