Re: Intel i810 graphics working as expected in openSUSE Tumbleweed, not in Stretch, Buster or Bullseye

On 10.05.2021 08:27, Felix Miata wrote:
I un-mothballed a 20+ year old Dell GX110 with i810e graphics in an attempt to
assist a linuxquestions.org Stretch user stuck with 640x480 VESA in X, here:
<https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/intel-82810e-dc-133-vga-controller-driver-update-4175694158/>

I have Stretch, Buster & Bullseye all on my Dell. Basically, absence of /dev/fb0
and /dev/dri/* stuff legacy 80x25 text mode on the ttys, and VESA 640x480 in X. In
Debian, none of the required kernel modules for X graphics will autoload, but even
when manually loaded, /dev/fb0 and /dev/dri/* remain absent. The LQ user got
similar failure with Debian-based live AntiX.
You should look for 'i810' or 'i810fb' kernel modules.
From what I understood, i810 support is available in two flavors: DRM and Frame Buffer. [1]
Probably you have to manually enable\load them or configure additional options. [2] [3]

Web searches haven't directed me to any clues how to reconcile X working as
expected automagically in Tumbleweed with not working at all in Debian. Does
anyone here have recent experience with making i810 or i815 graphics hardware work
as expected, e.g. 1680x1050 native on an LCD display?
Check out specifications for i810-series graphics. [4]
It is possible you have to setup a lower resolution to overcome hardware limitations.

[1] https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=buster&arch=i386&mode=filename&searchon=contents&keywords=i810
[2] https://01.org/linuxgraphics/gfx-docs/drm/fb/intel810.html
[3] https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/man/man4/intel.4.xhtml
[4] https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007975/graphics/legacy-graphics.html